Saturday, October 31, 2009

How long does a root canal/crown last?

I'm having this done pretty soon and getting nervous. I had a friend tell me that after 5 years (roundabout) that the tooth will probably go bad and it will have to be pulled anyway. Did she just have a bad dentist or what? I'm assuming follow up care has something to do with how it works out for the individual. am I right?
Answer:
Well, this is a good question with no really good answer. First of all, you are dealing with the body's ability to heal things around the end of the tooth root and to keep it healed. Second, you have yourself taking care of a tooth which still can decay or break. I have a root canal and crown that has been on for almost 30 years with no problem but in my practice, I have seen others who have lost teeth after as little as 1-2 years [fortunately, none of which I initiated care on]. A lot depends on the skill of the practitioner but in any case it's worth the risk as the alternative is not as good by any means.
There are diff materials to choose from. I got the silver mix crown and so far 7 years, no chips, no staining. I also got two gold mix and also no problems. The doc says there's no approx time for each. And she can't really give a figure because it depends on the factors you mentioned. But she said at least 5 years. It has to do with maintenance also. Like cleanings, being careful with what you eat, floss, brush, etc. I try not to use that are of my mouth to eat hard foods but if I forget, nothing happens. But I guess for long term not so good, lol. Good luck!
I've had it for 7 years and doc said it's in good shape. Never heard of having it pulled after a root canal. My mom had a root canal done 15 years ago, still has a crown on it, no prob. Maybe if there was an infection or decay at the margin (where the crown and tooth meet) but brushing/flossing and reg cleanings helps.
at the least 5 years at most 20 years

1 comment:

  1. I had five, and one broke at 18 years. The other four are still there after 20 years, no problems at all with them.

    ReplyDelete

 

How long does Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net