Sunday, October 25, 2009

How long after an extraction do I have to wait to smoke?

I know I shouldn't smoke at all, ever. However; I've been smoking for a long time and don't see myself quitting right now.
I really want a cig. I've already snapped at a co-worker, and I feel it's getting worse. Can someone please help?
Answer:
As a dentist I can tell you that I usually recommend that my patients always wait to smoke for AT LEAST 72 hours after extraction. It is best to wait longer (ie: a week), but after the first 72 hours the chance of a dry socket does decrease considerably. Continue to take any prescribed antibiotics and pain medication (as needed) and after 24 hours following extraction you should begin GENTLE warm salt water rinses to help prevent any infection. Good luck!
if you dont feel good while your having it put it out right away. if you dont feel good after it..too late..just get a bottle of water and drink it.cigs are bad..i hear nicorete cq gum is suppose to be good for quiting
Wait for at least 24 hours, smoking disturbs the process of clotting in the wound and can lead to infection( dry socket) which is very painful.
take care
Smoking is harmful to the healing process and makes numerous complications more likely. Smoking in the first two weeks is especially harmful. After I had my tooth extraction I waited until the blood clogged which took about six hours. I placed a sterilized gauze where the tooth was extracted and kept pressure on it until I finished the cigarette. It was some what hard to do but I didn't have any complications with my extraction. But the best thing I did was gave up smoking by using the strongest patch they have in the store. I have been smoke free for five years.
Wait as long as you possibly can. Most dental offices want you to wait 24-48 hours after an extraction. If you HAVE to smoke, place some of the gauze they gave you over the extraction site while you smoke to keep the area protected. Just be aware that you are more likely to get a dry socket if you smoke before the 24-48 hours are up.
You have to wait 50 years before you can think about smoking again. Smoking is bad for your lungs and your oral health. Try using the nicotine patch.
you should wait at least 5 days as if you do not let it heal properly then you will be in the worse pain ever with a dry socket and believe me it is pain full and you will need antibiotics !!! DONT DO IT HONESTLY IM A DENTAL NURSE XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

How long does Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net