Saturday, October 31, 2009

How long does it take the pain to stop after you get braces?

I just got braces yesterday and its been a roll coaster I thought I PASSED all the real pain with the spacers, now im having trouble eating and sleeping. I have been taking tynoel like some people suggested but it doesnt seem to work, I can not take midol yet because I had a procedure in my mouth done and my doctor said it could cause me to bleed. So my question is how long does it take for the pain to stop/reduce after getting the braces done? After I start getting them tighten how long is it going to take then too?Thanks so much for your help and consideration it is greatly needed!
Answer:
You should take Advil or Motrin for your dental discomfort and the inflammation, this should be used when you have adjustments made through out your ortho treatment. It will take several days for you to get comfortable with them, keep in mind the teeth are moving even right now. This is why you are having pain, all of your teeth are being loosened. You will get used to them, it's a whole lot of new stuff in your mouth so give your self time to adjust. Drink and eat cold things, this will help to numb your mouth and ease the soreness. In a few days slowly start adding foods back into your diet, softer ones to start. Always cut your food into bite size pieces so you don't pop brackets off biting into these foods. Most importantly, don't neglect brushing and flossing. I know it hurts right now, but if you don't maintain good hygiene, your gums will hurt worse later. It will get better and easier in a few days, try to relax and switch to the Ibuprofen, it does much better for orthodontic pain. Good luck!
Do not worry. I have had my braces 3 years now and the pain has almost gone away completely.
It takes about 5 days after you get braces for the pain to stop. After you get them tightened, it will take about 3 days.
eh not long...just take some advil if the pain is to much...you will be fine though...
oh...sucks to be you! It took me a week before the pain left, and about 2 days after they tightened them. I'm so so sorry!
Oh yeah, don't worry about it. For me, after I got them on or tightened it took around 2 days till I could eat normal food and for the pain to mainly leave, and then a few more days until I didn't notice it anymore. You'll get used to the routine
I had the spacer for my top jaw which hurt every time I turned it (twice a day) for about two hours. Then I had the little rubber bands between my teeth which didn't hurt so much as they felt like pieces of steak stuck in my gums. (I quickly learned how to pop those out with my tongue. ;)The braces themselves didn't hurt my jaw as much as they ripped up the inside of my mouth. There's a wax putty you can get to cover the brackets and help with that. For jaw pain associated with tightening, try jaw stretches (ask a chiropractor for a demo), ice or ice cream or another cold food or drink, and taking the Tylenol BEFORE your appointment so it has a chance to kick in before they get tightened. If the pain is that intense that none of these helps, insist your doctor address your pain issue immediately.
I had them when I was younger. They hurt for about a week (I ate lots of burritos and soup) then they would get better. What I hated was going through it each month. But, I would do it all over again (my teeth were very very bad). After a while you kind of get used to it. The very first week you get them on is the worst. So look at the bright side, the worst part is almost over. (P.S. Don't get in a fight. I did and my lips were hamburger - not to mention the other guy's hand)
2 weeks for me. 1-2 weeks is the average but it really depends on the strength of your braces and how bad your bite is and whatnot. You will get used to it some 1-3 days later, but it will still hurt. Eat soft foods like applesauce, pudding, yogurt, jook, soup, and anything that does not require chewing, cutting with the teeth. After that, it will not hurt, and you'll be back to normal. If it does, see your orthrodontist. There may be something wrong with your wire or bracket (braces in general really).
It takes 2 or 3 days for the pain to go away first. But eat, even if it hurts the next day thepain will be less.
And I had mine tightened today, had my braces nearly a year now and it doesnt hurt anymore.
They just feel looser, because they are moving. And after you get them tightened again it will be a day or so before they are back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

How long does Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net