Sunday, October 25, 2009

How long do tooth extractions take?

I have to get 6 teeth extracted Monday.
Two top wisdom teeth...one of which is broken.
And the rest molars, all on the top. One of which is broken to the gum line. The other ones are just chipped teeth.
Does anyone have a clue as to how long I might be sitting in that dentist chair?I am only using numbing. I am not getting knocked out, I'd rather stay awake. The only reason I ask is because I have a bit of an anxiety problem, and would like to know what I have to look forward to.I also plan on asking the dentist, but I'd like to see if I can get any thoughts now.Thanks in advance to all who answer!
Answer:
Upper-jaw extractions are usually pretty quick, the reason being our maxillary bone is spongy. It's usually the lower-jaw teeth that gives the dentist a hard time because our mandibles have very dense bone.Also, the spongy nature of our maxillary bone means that it's EASY to numb. You will get some infiltration injections of lidocaine in the vestibules, plus possibly a greater palatine or incisive injection, and you will be completely numb up there. You will not feel any pain at all.The dentist will use elevators to loosen the teeth, and once loosened it may be removed with forceps. Since you are getting 6 teeth removed at once, the dentist will most likely put in sutures to close the sites as much as possible to promote proper healing.I'm sure you will do fine, and good luck!
it takes about 3-5 min per tetth so it will be about 20 min it will be kinda painfull and grose but it will only be 4 a day or 2 :)
THEY USUALLY Take about 8-10 each but you have to be there early so they can give you some pills and antibiotics
I know this isn't answering your question, but when you have 6 teeth to extract and you have an anxiety problem, your best bet is to get knocked out. That way you don't have to worry how long it takes. Just sitting in the chair for too long can cause anxiety in a person who has an issue with that to begin with.
To answer your question the length of time it takes to extract a tooth depends on how loose the tooth is to begin with. A normal extraction could take about 45 minutes per tooth. Given that you have broken/chipped teeth there is a possibility that they may already be somewhat loose so maybe not too long. Honestly, I have never heard of a dentist doing 6 teeth at once. It's usually too much at one time for a patient to endure. But please, if you are getting all 6 done at once, make it easy on yourself and get knocked out. Good Luck!
The ones that are chipped will be extracted much faster than the ones that are broken. Depending on teh severity of the crack, the wisdom teeth could take 45 minutes to be extracted. The chipped molars won't take nearly that long.
I suggest that you get knocked out, i understand that wasn't your question, but an anxiety problem plus that long in the chair equals that you should get knocked out.It would probably help to buy some tylenol in case you're out, as your gums will be swelled and in a wee bit of pain after the extraction.
Hope that helped.
I something like this done to me.
I don't think it took that long, no more than 20 minutes ( not counting the time it took for the pain med to kick in )
What I thought was the worst part was I think I got stuck about 3 times with the needle (2 shots.)
If i have to do this again I want to be knocked out.
If you have dental insurance most do not cover the gas they use to knock you out.
I hope this Dentist is also a Oral Surgeon many complications can occur if just a dentist does it. The difference? to be a Oral Surgeon you must take a extra four years of school. Not to mention he will most definitely cut your pain down dramatically and help you heal much quickerI also would recommend being "knocked" out for that many teeth. Its not bad at all. However, some insurance (if you have any) will not pay for being put under. It can be very difficult to take out a tooth that was broken.
hope this helps some,
Good Luck
many blessings,
Jen
It will be quick,maybe an hour or two. Its not going to take long because they are broken already.
Generally you will need about 20 to 30 mins for the Novacaine to kick in. The actually extraction will take about 1 minute or less per tooth. There will be little to no pain but there will be some bleeding. Don't be scared.
i to hate dentists it took me ages to go due to a broken molar,it was completely under the gum but i finally went and now i feel loads better,i was really worried about it but honestly it was nothing i had about 3 injections to numb the pain then she got what looked like a screwdriver and put it at the side of were my tooth was pressed down really really hard and lifted it up and out in 2 pieces it took literally 2 mins to do then she sent me home bleeding,but i havent hadf no probs wit it it hasnt hurt at all and is now nearly closed up 2 wks l8er.honestly fillings hurt more than that did and i dont have very high pain tolerance,good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

How long does Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net